Vioxx: The Scandal within the Cure- Helen White
Vioxx:
The Scandal within the Cure
By Helen White
The article I read was about a drug called Vioxx, which is produced by Merck Drug Company. The drug created complications with the cardio-vascular system. Over 27,000 heart attacks could have been prevented if Merck had taken Vioxx off of the market when a scientific study suggested that many cardio-vascular complications could have been prevent had the patient taken Pfizer’s drug Celebrex. The fact that Merck didn’t take the drug off the market when they had a chance is really too much for people considering taking a drug for arthritis pain.
This article relates to science in the way that drugs need to do with chemistry and biology. Drugs have to do with chemistry because they require figuring the make up of he drug. Drugs also have to do with biology in order to predict what the effect will be on the human body. If they did not use biology you might be taking a drug for heart disease and you also have a cold. It might get rid of the cold but not help with the heart disease. These sciences are critical in making sure the right drug does the right things. Otherwise many people would die from the medications they take. My uncle Stu takes 7 medications he would probably be dead if these pharmacists didn’t use science to make sure that the medications are safe. Safe medicines are crucial to our survival; we need them to be safe so that we can take medicine. Over 20 million people took this drug before it was pulled off the market. That is a significant number people who are at a blind risk! This is preposterous to put people’s lives in danger just to get a profit. That is absolutely disgusting.
This world needs honest business people in order for things to keep working. Greedy scumbags who think they own the world really don’t help. They are the fat cats or the world and run the world more than their political counterparts.
The words in this article were pretty easy because of studying the heart and cardio system last year. Had there been terms that I didn’t understand I would have included them.
2 Comments:
By: Jeffery Cowen
I found this review rather interesting. I liked the first part but it got rather political nearing the end. I liked the phrase "Greedy scumbags who think they own the world really don’t help. They are the fat cats or the world and run the world more than their political counterparts." It was rather interesting.
By: Jeffery Cowen
I found this review rather interesting. I liked the first part but it got rather political nearing the end. I liked the phrase "Greedy scumbags who think they own the world really don’t help. They are the fat cats or the world and run the world more than their political counterparts." It was rather interesting.
The review had very good grammer. I liked it a lot. I found that at the end she could have used a little less political references but hey that was her decision.
I found it very odd that a company would injure all of those people for no reason at all even when they knew that the drug was not proven to do what it was supposed to do. That is just stupid in my opinion.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home