Friday, October 29, 2004

Mount St. Helens- George Roberton




Mount St. Helens

The Globe and mail
Wednesday October 6 2004

October 6 Mount St. Helens in Washington started letting smoke out of it. The last time Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980 and it killed 52 people and covered most of the cities northwest to the volcano with ash. Scientist still aren’t sure whether it is going to erupt yet, and don’t know enough of the volcano because it has changed so much they can’t guess what is going to happen in the next while. There are 30 scientists that are monitoring the mountain from a town about 40 kilometers away. The mountain has changed since 1980 so they are not sure what will happen and they would need new information to understand what it would do. Scientists are still trying to figure out why and how volcanoes came to be on earth and why they can suddenly come to life after being what seems like they’re asleep.

Volcanoes are very complicated but it seems like they are simple because most kids will do something on volcanoes for there first science fair or something because it is easy to make a volcano out of paper Mache and fill it with baking soda and vinegar but to find out how they were made or how they can suddenly explode. I think it definitely has to do with pressure or it slowly accumulates but it could also go fast and then it explodes sending the magma and ash and everything like it flying in the air. I am not sure how they came to be what there are now, but I have some ideas how they were formed and why they are so tall.

Volcanoes are basically a hole in the ground the goes all the way to the mantel where there is magma and it accumulates pressure and then it explodes and the magma comes out and it hardens then forms a hill and over time it gets bigger and bigger until what it is now. Mount St. Helens is subduction-zone volcano (I don’t know what that is but it is 80% of all the volcanoes in the world so it is normal).They occur on the edge of a colliding crustal and one plat goes under the other one and goes 100 kilometers under the ground and it initiates some melting of the plate above and that makes new magma and some magma come up and erupts from a volcano.

A volcano erupts because magma is lighter than rock and I collects in groups and when the magma get close to the top it loses pressure and that makes the gas in the magma to expand and this makes the magma launch up and it cracks through the surface. Once the magma get out of the volcano it is called lava.

And that is how a volcano works and is what is going on at Mount St. Helens about 3 weeks ago.


4 Comments:

At October 31, 2004 at 7:08 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah’s Review
Here article is telling me about grapes that may grow better and also the global warming the change of the climate. If the temperature changes the growing of things may be better for farmers to grow. The grapes will be grown better if the temperature changes and also it can be grown it different places. Sarah describes in her review that bad weather has destroyed the grapes of the growth of the things. I hope the temperature changes s that there will be more grapes to eat.

The thing I like about Sarah’s review is that her review is talking about grapes and also the territory might get bigger because the changes of the temperature(global warming). Sarah’s teaches me a lot of new words on her review. So many words I didn’t understand but, she explained what the meant on the bottom of the review. I actually learned some many things in this article.

 
At November 1, 2004 at 8:32 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

By: Jeffery Cowen
I thought that Georges review was rather informational. It told me alot about Mt. Saint Helens and how he thought that volcanoes are created. I've learned alot with these reviews but I have to say that this one was probably the most informaitve.

The review would have been much better in my opinion if he hadn't said that he didn't know what a subduction-zone volcano is. I think that if he had looked that up that his review would have had much more power. I found he drew away from the point he was making by saying that.

This review had a very good set-up both gramaticaly and beginning, middle, end wise. As I said the only thing I didn't like about it was his comment about how he didn't know what a subduction-zone volcano is.

 
At November 2, 2004 at 7:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

george's was grate! It was very explicated in the way that it was easy to read and it was explained very well. On thing that i did not read is how does it relate to science.

the way it was wrote is was just not george but i was good. That is not important the important of this project or assighment is the you follow the explication.

Good Job George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At November 2, 2004 at 7:30 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

george's was grate! It was very explicated in the way that it was easy to read and it was explained very well. On thing that i did not read is how does it relate to science.

the way it was wrote is was just not george but i was good. That is not important the important of this project or assighment is the you follow the explication.

Good Job George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home