Friday, October 29, 2004

Flu Vaccine Shortage Looms-Krista Blackned




Krista Blackned
Science
October 22, 2004
Article Review

Flu Vaccine Shortage Looms

The associated press Emma Ross, canadian press Marilynn Machione, Montreal, Quebec Gazette. It was published on October 6, 2004. Just as the flu season was about to begin. The global and the United States health officials warned people of major flu shot shortages. Other countries, but not Canada, will probably face the similar problems. Britain suspends flu vaccine manufacturing at Chiron Corp because of the problems at its vaccine factory in Liverpool, England. The Chiron said it would provide no more vaccine this year. They discovered that had already been delayed in August in the British factory where vaccine is made. About one million doses had already arrived in the United States but they had not yet been released for use. The flu kills 36, 000 people and hospitalizes another 114,000 mostly elderly.

The author is letting us notify that the people in the United States, the flu season is beginning and the medicine they used vaccine might not going to be provided for this year. The British factory where the vaccine was made, about a million doses arrived in the States. The Emory Vaccine Centre said the government might have to ration available vaccine. So they probably have small amount of vaccine in the United States. Vaccine was a medicine to help people cure their illness or disease.

The article Flu Vaccine Shortages Looms had some things to do with science. The main thing I found in the article was that vaccine was used to protect people from flu’s or diseases. Britain’s halted influenza vaccine manufacturing at US-based Chiron Corporation, abruptly pulled the license of the maker of the world's expected supply for this flu season. I thought that the article had something to do with e-coli, it says here, Specific e-coli based recombinant vaccines constituting the initial pipeline are: menigococcal, group B streptococcus, gonorrhea, and pneumococcal. I thought these were mostly scientific chemicals that can be used for science. They can also be used for medicine to cure diseases or viruses.






Science Terms

Vaccine- A substance used to protect people against a disease, which contains the virus that causes the disease.

Doses- A measured amount of medicine.
Biomedical- The application of the principles of the natural sciences, especially biology and physiology, to clinical medicine.
Contamination- to make some think dirty or dangerous by adding something such as chemicals or poison to it.
Retested- A second or a repeated test.


4 Comments:

At October 31, 2004 at 7:11 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica’s Review
It seems to me that Monica is talking about 3 main things. The things are Water Filter, Water quality, and also the pollution of the water. These tree main things talk about is science. I actually know how describe it because we talked about it in class. I know some things about the water cycle. I don’t really know how to describe this article some of this words because these words are hard to explain. Canada make a lot of money when the send water to China. This article also talks about water flitter. How the water flitter works and the water cleans it.

The best thing about reading this article is that Canada makes a lot of money selling water to the Chinese. The problem with the water that Monica said is that the water is has a problem and the solution will be membranes. I like to read her article because it finally takes about something that I know is that water. Membrane: A thin, pliable layer of tissue covering surfaces or separating or connecting regions, structures, or organs of an animal or a plant, that’s what Monica describes in here article. This is an other new word I know. I learn many new words, but some of them I don’t know what they are.

The thing like what like to learn about her article is that how much money does Canada makes when they sell water to China. Do the people that work with the water make a lot of money? I want to know so many things about the article. It is very interesting to read it. I really likes Monica’s article which talks about water and things like that.

 
At October 31, 2004 at 7:16 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article review of Krista’s was scary because people who get cold and they can’t even be restoring. They don’t have any medicine to stop the cold getting worst. I’m scare of having cold and no one can solve the problem if my cold gets worst. Actually the American they are really poor of having no method, no clue to find out how to be solved.

It’s so bad they only use the shot and calm the cold down, but if the cold come again and again, how can they save a person’s life? I don’t like when the government is doing something that being so long time to solve a really simple problem. I thought it was a thing that thing will be worst.

I hope people who in United State could make the medicine that could help you that won’t get worst and horrible on the cold. We should solve this problem probably and truly, not just acting like really care about it and didn’t do anything on it. That’s not fair to us!!

 
At November 1, 2004 at 7:10 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

By: Jeffery Cowen

 
At November 1, 2004 at 7:18 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

By: Jeffery Cowen
I Found this review rather confusing but all in all I found it interesting. I really hope that Canada has a vacinne production plant.

I found it confusing that there was no reason or apparent reason for the suspending of the production. It just made no sense. Also I think it was a good idea to use this as the topic for her page because it is very relavent considering that almost half the school or more have either a cough,a cold or the flu.

This was a good review but it could have been presented a bit better. By that I mean the grammer primarily and some of the facts were a bit contradictory.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home